Trash and Recycling Collection
- Trash is picked up weekly and recyclables every other week.
- The fee for 2024 is $18.75.
- Each residence is limited to one 96-gallon bin of trash and one 96-gallon bin for recyclables. Trash must be placed in bags before putting it in the trash cart.
- Republic Services will not take large piles of construction material, we recommend that you rent a dumpster.
- Grass clippings, left in piles, provide harborage for mosquitoes and the decaying grass creates unpleasant odors. Therefore, the City of Bluffton does not pick up lawn grass clippings. Republic Services will accept bagged grass clipping with the regular trash collection in the 96-gallon bin.
- Trash and recycling must be placed at the curb and at least 3 feet apart .
- For a list of recyclable items, click here.
Special Collection Weeks and Bulk Pick up
Three weeks during each year the contractor will collect unlimited bags of trash. They are the weeks proceeding Spring Clean Up, Fall Clean Up, and the trash pickup day directly following Christmas. Residents are allowed to set out additional trash bags, not to exceed 30-gallons.
The 2024 Spring Clean Up date is May 11th, with unlimited trash pickup the week prior (May 6th-8th)
Anytime you need additional items collected that cannot fit inside your trash cart, there are two additional pre-paid programs at your disposal:
Prepaid extras trash tags/stickers: Extras trash bags not to exceed 30-gallons (tall kitchen bags) set outside the 96-gallon cart with lid closed. $2 per sticker on each extra bag set out on your regular trash collection day. Stickers can be purchased at the City Clerk Treasurer’s office.
Bulk/Heavy Items: Defined as larger pieces of furniture, mattresses, box springs, chairs, sofas, rolls of carpet and padding and non-Freon household appliances not to exceed 40 lbs. $20 per items prepaid by the resident by contacting Republic Services directly to pre-schedule pick-up. To prepay and schedule call 1-800-876-9001.
Republic Services Holiday Pickup Schedules
There are six major holidays that we recognize: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. When one of those six holidays fall on a weekday (Monday thru Friday), they will not work that day, and all service will be performed one day later for that day and the rest of the week. For example: Labor Day is on Monday. All work for that week will be performed one day later – Tuesday thru Saturday. Thanksgiving Day is on Thursday, no change is service schedule. Only when one of the major holidays falls on a weekday is our service schedule changed to one day later.
- Monday – All homes north of the Wabash River.
- Tuesday – All homes south of the Wabash River, west of the center line of Wayne Street, and north of the center line of Wiley Avenue.
- Wednesday – All homes south of the center line of Wiley Avenue and west of the center line of Wayne Street. Also, all homes east of the center line of Wayne Street.
If you feel you have been missed or have a damaged cart that needs replaced, contact us.
2024 Recycling Calendar
(For a printable copy, click here.)
Additional Recycling Options
Wells County maintains a drop-off recycling center at 702 West Wabash. It is open Tuesday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. until noon. You can contact the Recycling Center at (260) 824-4828. For information on what is accepted click here.
OmniSource now has collection containers located at the Bluffton Recycling Center for E-Waste. *There is a $20 charge (each) for TVs and Computer Monitors (CRTs). You must go the Wells County Auditor’s office in the Courthouse to purchase a ticket for each TV or CRT before dropping off any TVs or CRTs to the recycling center.
- Jay County Landfill at 5825 West 400 South, Portland
- National Serv-All at 6231 MacBeth Road, Fort Wayne